Unfortunately, there may be times that you or a colleague may have to deal with a customer that is being difficult. There are a few steps that can be taken to minimize and deescalate the interaction:
- Don’t take it personally.
- Don’t become defensive or argumentative.
- Don’t handle it alone if the person is making you feel unsafe. Get a manager or security to help you deal with the situation.
- Remain calm.
- Listen and attempt to clearly understand their issue.
- Reflect back to them the problem you are hearing.
- Ask what outcome they are hoping to achieve.
- Ask them if they can lower their voice because you genuinely want to help them.
- Ask security to escort them from the facility if they become threatening or belligerent.
Always attempt to resolve the issue; however, if the interaction escalates to the point of you feeling unsafe or the customer becomes